Tuesday, September 25, 2007

That's My Nanny

I wrote this poem for her just now, to put in her coffin. After thinking about Nanny all weekend the words just flowed from my fingers. I know Nanny was the Angel on my shoulder as I wrote this. We are about to leave for Baytown where Nanny born (when it was called Goose Creek), where she will be laid to rest...

That’s My Nanny

Let me tell you about Nanny, this lady so fine
A sister-wife-mother-friend-grandmother of mine
She was kind, loving, special and unique
Still no one has matched her cooking technique

She loved with her words and her giving nature
In ways and amounts you cannot measure
She wasn’t complex nor was she simple
She was just plain “good people”

Her personality was magnetic
She was driven, energetic
You could not stop her when her mind was set
What Nanny needed, she would get

But she used these powers for others, for good
Right next to you is where she stood
When you needed a friendly hand to hold
She was there, as good as gold

She wasn’t graceful, but who needs grace?
She made up for it with her loving embrace,
That hug, that kiss
That’s what we’ll miss

When you needed her, Nanny was there
With her crisp blue eyes and her silver hair
We knew her laugh, we knew her smile
The ribbon in her hair - her very own style.

Most of all, Nanny was true
The best little old lady I ever knew
Her knack for straightforwardness was certainly uncanny
But that’s alright; that’s my Nanny.

Love always, Carrie Lynn

No comments: